Fuel Assistance Menu
Applications will be taken November 1st through April 30th for households applying for the first time. Applications for households eligible for Fuel Assistance last winter will be mailed in August.
Springfield Clients Apply To:
North Central MA Clients* Apply To:
* Communities served by the Fitchburg office include: Ashburnham, Ashby, Athol, Ayer, Baldwinville, Barre, Berlin, Bolton, Clinton, Devens, East Templeton, Fitchburg, Gardner, Gilbertville, Hardwick, Harvard, Hubbardston, Lancaster, Leominster, Lunenburg, New Braintree, Petersham, Phillipston, Princeton, Royalston, Shirley, South Barre, South Lancaster, South Royalston, Sterling, Still River, Templeton, Townsend, Westminster, West Townsend, Wheelwright, Winchendon, and Winchendon Springs.
Eligibility for the LIHEAP fuel assistance program is based on a number of factors including but not limited to gross household income and number of household members.
Household Size: 1
Income Limit: $37,360
Household Size: 2
Income Limit: $48,855
Household Size: 3
Income Limit: $60,351
Household Size: 4
Income Limit: $71,846
Household Size: 5
Income Limit: $83,341
Household Size: 6
Income Limit: $94,837
Household Size: 7
Income Limit: $96,992
Household Size: 8
Income Limit: $99,147
Household Size: 9
Income Limit: $101,303
Household Size: 10
Income Limit: $103,458
How to Apply for Fuel Assistance:
- We encourage all households to apply for fuel assistance.
- Recertification packages for households who were eligible for the previous season will be mailed beginning in August.
- First-time applications are taken by APPOINTMENT only.
- Appointments may be scheduled by:
- Calling 413-272-2209 (Springfield residents) or 978-342-4520 (North Central MA residents).
- Using the appointment schedule link.
- Visiting their local office
Please Bring To Your Appointment:
- Current valid pictureID for household members age 18 and over
- Proof of Address
- Birth certificates and Social Security cards for all household members
- Proof of Income for all household members
- Gas & Electric bills (and name of dealer if oil/kerosene/propane)
- Copy of your lease, HOWEVER, please note, at your appointment you will be required to complete a rental information release form that we will mail to your landlord. Your file cannot be completed until we receive the completed form back from your landlord.
- Renters receiving a subsidy must bring a copy of the recertification housing sheet or letter from the housing authority.
You Will Also Need to Bring All of the Following Income Documentation for All Household Members (As Applicable):
- Wages (4 most recent pay stubs)
- Welfare, Social Security, SSI, VA, Workers’ Comp, Pensions (copy of most recent check stub)
- Unemployment (copy of DUA claim record)
- Alimony/Child Support (copy of checks, divorce decree, court order, DOR print out)
- Bank Interest, Dividends (statement from bank, copies of checks, tax forms)
- Rental Income (mortgage interest, property tax, water/sewer, insurance, proof of rent received)
- Self-Employment (copy of Federal Tax Return from previous year)